Friday, January 07, 2005

change of heart

Today I have really been re-evaluating my determination to do Classical Writing, both Homer and Aesop. I have spent so many hours planning, re-reading and preparing from both books, ready for our new term in February. I have been very excited about them- and we have started them both at the end of last year. The kids love them. I find them hard work.
Ideally, yes, i think they are great. In reality, they may just be too much for me. Actually, Aesop doesnt seem like too much at all after starting Homer!
I am quite happy with Rod and Staff. Even though I have to be present for both kids while they doing it, because a lot of it is oral, its straightforward for me to teach.
I realised at the end of last year that my kids do really well when they know what to do, and they thrive on workbooks and projects they can just get into. They had their dad be their teacher for a couple of weeks, and I was shocked how much work he got them to do (I had set a bare minimum, and he had far exceeded it). The key for him was to raise his (originally my ) expectations and then bribe them with tv and computer and probably sugar!
What I am concerned about is that too much of our curricula is dependant on me teaching it, and yet my kids do well with workbooks, to a certain extent.
So CW is not heading in that direction, it is heading in the opposite. However, my kids love it. Particularly Genevieve, the oldest, she just loves writing out those stories, she asks for it!
So I will probably just keep going with it and stop trying so hard and just do it at the level we can, comfortably. What a process this has been. I imagine when Harvey's arrives ( I have ordered it) I will re-evaluate all over again.
I dont want to make this homeschooling harder than it needs to be.



2 comments:

Dy said...

Hi Peela-
Found your new link at the WTM boards and just had to come say welcome to the blogosphere! I hope you enjoy your blogging experience- it's been such a treat to be able to journal our homeschooling journey, as well as the day-to-day "stuff".

Just have to tell you, also, that I am so excited to read more and get to know you! Statistically, you'd never guess that you and I had a lot in common, but we do. From Classical Ed to naturopathy to just lovin' life. :-) We're a bit "off" from the mainstream. DH says, "Honey, you are the fringe..." but he says it with a big, happy smile. ;-)

Happy Blogging!
~Dy

Karin said...

I just found you on the WTM board. I have modified my approach from WTM because I, too, found it required too much of my time teaching. Instead I use some of their suggestions and other resources that suit my children's learning styles better.