Wednesday, January 19, 2005

my latest thoughts

First thanks to those who commented on my rantings. I havnt worked out how to talk back to you yet, but I appreciate your comments.

I also havnt worked out how to put links down the sidebar of my blog. Can someone tell me?
I have been limited by my family to 2 hours computer time a day. They convinced me I was addicted, and after answering a Sunday Newspaper quiz, I realised I probably am. The kids are restricted to 2 hours, so so am I.

I thought that would be a breeze. It takes my about an hour and a half to read and answer my emails and read the WTM boards. So thats half an hour for other stuff. I realised though that I used to just leave my computer on most of the day and come back to it whenever. Now, I turn it off after my 2 hours, and write myself notes about what I want to do or look up next time I get online. I do crave it, and I don't know what to do with myself sometimes. I think I was addicted. More cleaning is happening though!

I downloaded Homeschool Tracker Plus a couple of days ago. That is great, but is taking more time to fill in all the information.

Today however, I wanted to make time for my blog. I barely have looked at other people's blogs yet. I think I will have to cut back on my email groups.

We are supposed to be starting back to 'school work' next week, a week earlier than the school kids here in Australia. My excuse (not to appear too enthusiastic) is we get started early in order to take a week off mid term (we have 4times 10 week terms here). However my husband spat the dummy yesterday when he found out my intentions- he just loves it that we are hanging out at home all day (he works from home). He wants that extra week! Once I get back into working with the kids, the whole vibe of the house will change. He thinks I push them too hard, they need the full 6 weeks of school hols to just be kids and play. He thinks I am obsessed with homeschooling and need to learn how to relax and do nothing. He's very sweet. We will see what happens though, I am very keen to get started!

I have been reading a lot. I joined the Latin centred curriculum email group, just to see where they are coming from. But I am heading back towards Classical Lite I think, and I am more open to using the more modern resources (can you tell I am a bit burned out on CW?) I am still wondering whether to do CW at all. No, I dont own CC, and in Australia its not so easy to get hold of, although I would love to compare.

One thing I was inspired by recently though is to roll Literature, History and Science into one subject called Reading/Writing. I really want to focus on writing with my kids this year and that seems like a great way to do it. I am also thinking to do History and Science on alternate weeks.

Well, its another hot sunny day here in Perth. We have had bad bushfires here the last few days, with the heat and the wind. At the moment the cit is thick with smoke from the fires just outside the city, the smoke is so thick I have a headache. The heat here is dry, actually Perth is really on the edge of a desert. The weather is great normally, and we do have air conditioning.
What a lucky lucky life.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Hi!

I just added links to the sidebar of my blog today and after a few stressful moments, I was quite successful. I wish I could properly explain the process to you in this post, but I am afraid I would cause you quite a bit of confusion! So i'll just provide a couple to tips.

Go to BLOGGER HELP (from your BLOGGER dashboard and use the "search" box to look up "links").

When you come across the article entitled "How do I edit my link list" just click it open and follow the directions. You need a small amount of computer knowledge (I asked my 13 year-old daughter for help) but it is fairly easy. All you have to do it "cut and paste" the HTML code into your template.

Well, best of luck!

RANDI

http://cheekymama2005.blogspot.com/

Karin said...

Since you got those instructions on how to add links, I no longer need to do that. I will suggest getting something like Haloscan for comments so that you can prevent anonymous comments but still leave it open for people who aren't registered with blogger to comment.