Saturday, February 05, 2005

books and reading ability

Well, I am sitting here, and I only wrote on my blog yesterday but I feel like writing again.
I am about to go and read the kids the next chapter of The Hobbit. They are so into it. Less than a year ago I tried it and they just begged me to stop, they didn't like it. Now, they beg me to read it at mealtimes and late into the evening. Just goes to show what a bit of extra maturity will do.
I went to a private Christian girl's school (where we learnt Latin and had to wear hats AND gloves)
but we must have had a good English staff because in my first year of highschool, which is year 7 where I grew up, I was 11, we had to read The Hobbit. Well, of course I loved it, we al ldid, my best friend called her dog Bilbo.
We also had to read a book called The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. If you havnt read it, and the next 2 books in the series (the Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment) I highly recommend them. The first is the story of Merlin, or rather the Arthurian legend through Merlin. Its so wonderful. I remember finding it a little bit of a challenge (as was the Hobbit) but VERY worth it.
I have just given it to my 10 year old, as we are doing Medieval this year, and told her, dont worry, if its a bit too much for you, (it is an adult book), you dont have to read it now, you can wait till you are older. She is hooked, she loves it, and says its not too hard at all.
Which really makes me think, all this reading we do is definitely helping their reading skills- and I was a prolific reader as a child, but I remember finding the Crystal Cave a little challenging, at 11-12, yet my daughter is only 10. Thats good!

As for myself, what am I reading? I have a pile of spiritual books next to my bed. However I am not at the moment really INTO any particular book. I miss getting into a good novel, but I got out of the habit many years ago and have only read non fiction since then. As in, reading for a reason, rather than just for pleasure, for the comfort and joy or enrichment of being into a good book. There are so many good ones out there, but I dont know any at all. Sounds silly, but I am looking.
I did read Siblings Without Rivalry recently, that is still next to my bed. I highly recommend it. My kids were really fighting a lot over the summer holidays (Christmas hols here in Australia) and I was at my wits end knowing how to deal with it. The book really helped. They really just want to be heard. I listened, and threw the solving of it back to them, and it was miraculous. I dotn always have the patience for it, but it really does work.
I tried Don Quixote and perhaps I will try it again. I found it surprisingly good, yet not good enough to be a high priority for my time, and the library needed it back long before I finished.
So, I am still on the lookout for a good book. Its unlike me to not have one. Maybe its all this homeschool reading I do.

ok, time to go read The Hobbit. over and out for today




No comments: