Thursday, June 19, 2008

All is Well

All is well. Homeschooling is going so well this term. Of course there is a small part of me thinking we are just not doing enough, but a much larger part feels what we are doing is great because we are all happy and growing and learning. The Charlotte Mason method is working here! The kids both wrote great essays over the last couple of weeks, as I taught them about how to structure an essay. They are reading much more than they used to. Grammar is a blip in our days instead of a heavy thing. Maths is going well, although this is a challenging year for Genevieve, and the last two weeks she has been using ALEKS online maths for a change. Our schedule just works! And it doesn't change much so i am not always tweaking. And we still spend about an hour a day doing our together work which we all enjoy.
French is finishing so we are getting Monday mornings back, so that gives me the extra time I was craving. Probably a good time for our nature studies. We will still do French and Latin- Gen's Cambridge online has just finished too- but I will try and get them to do it independently.
Home life is cosy as we move into winter. The kids are both going on a Scout camp this weekend. I am reading their next year's books (for once, happily) and loving them !
I seem to have found my niche. I just had to let go of that fear of never doing enough, that constant feeling that I needed to just buy this or that and it would feel like enough. Instead, we have so little curricula. Its a relief!
What fun!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I know exactly how you feel- it is so hard to figure out if you are doing enough. But as long as the kids are healthy, confident and making progress- I am sure that they are doing enough! I am buying less this next year- I overbuy, underuse and realize that most learning can come straight from books we own. My goal is too just plan better for next year. I love your 1 hour of together time. I need to make sure that happens. It is challenging now that they are older! Hope all is well down under!