Sunday, June 01, 2008

Catch up

Its been a bit of time since I wrote what we have been doing,but thats partly because things have been going so well!
I just feel really good about this year so far.
The reading broken down Charlotte Mason style is going really well. They both read about 30-60 minutes a day for school, but both are also very much obsessed with adult series as well at the moment- Robin Hobbs for Gen and David Eddings for Jared. They read a lot.
Teaching writing myself is going well too. Wow, it's so good to be free of curricula!
This week I was going to teach Genevieve about essay structures, and in particular, start her on writing weekly 5 paragraph essays just to nail down the concept of structured essays. Then I suddenly realise Jared is read for this too, and what a great idea to teach them both at once!
In fact, he responded better than Gen, and chose a great topic- sharks, their dangers and benefits- while after half an hour of procrastinating I had to choose one for her- the benefits of Scouts.
This isn't rocket science.
I love Charlotte Mason. This is really good for my heart, and good for the kids.

No comments: