Saturday, April 12, 2008

time for another update

Someone from the Well Trained Mind message boards encouraged me to write in my blog more. So here I am. But as I wrote to her, it is embarrassing because I constantly fluctuate and change what we do. From my perspective, I just like homeschooling that way. I make plans a way ahead, I tweak them, life does it's thing, but in the process, lots of learning appears to happen! I have never felt the need to use the same programs for years or decide now what we will be doing next year.

We are starting our autumn holidays, so have done 1 term of school in our year. We have four 10 week terms. I am very happy with what we have done this term, even though we have had a week long trip to Bali, and Easter, all packed in there too.

I am relaxing more and more with homeschooling. I dont feel like I am so fear driven, so anxious any more. I have stopped aiming for the stars, as far as classical education is concerned. I can't do it, and enjoy my life too, and enjoy my kids' childhood. Nothing matters so much as it seemed to before. Of course, I was always heading this way, but something has really shifted in me.

On Mondays we are out at French class, then Sport and Drama. And you know what I do while Sport and Drama is on? (3 hours?). I drive home (20 mins each way) and have a nap. I get a solid 2 hours at home. Enough time to read as well! What luxury! The last 2 years I hung around and chatted or went to the shops. But this way feels right for this season.

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, we are mostly home, and these days we get most of our work done. And, we still finish by 1 pm. Or perhaps I should qualify that- I finish by 1pm. Genevieve often works longer. Jared reads. I nap. Getting a theme here?

Fridays we go to Science classes. Both kids do one now, and it takes us just about all day for them both to do a class, but its nice to sit in the park outside the hall and chat, knit, walk for exercise, or go off to the shops and buy coffee. The Science teacher is very good and it has relieved me of my stress about this subject.

I will post about what we are doing with school another time. This is enough for tonight.

1 comment:

Tory said...

Yay! So glad to see you blogging again! ;-)