Sunday, April 13, 2008

time for more change

I just changed the layout and name of my blog....it felt like it wasn't really reflecting me so well. Even though we use many Classical resources and ideas that coincide with others who identify with the classical label, sometimes it feels pretentious to go around saying "we are classical homeschoolers". I am not sure what we are. And I like it like that. I don't want to be narrowed down to any label.
It has occurred to me lately that it would have been far easier to have stuck with Saxon maths and Rod and Staff English, in many ways. We would be much "farther ahead" on the academic trail than we are now....or at least, we would be getting up there to the higher levels of those programs. But, I couldn't do it. Not to the kids and not to myself. It would feel very satisfying in a certain way. But think what we would have missed. A year on Lord of the Rings. A year or more on Classical Writing. Trying different things. Bravewriter freewrites. I feel that the different curricula I have used has enriched us, rather than scattered us, but when I try and share what we are doing NOW with friends, it sounds kind of flaky because my closest homeschooling friends tend to stick to...Saxon math and Rod and Staff. I don't feel flaky..but I feel i sound it! It feels like we are eating from the smörgåsbord of educational experiences available. We are having a wide range of experiences. And I think that is my aim. To give a rich education, rather than a strongly academic one.

No comments: